Monday, March 5, 2012

Monday Project - Four Freeform Crochet Shapes


One of the projects I'm working on for my fiber art class this semester will include freeform crochet shapes - something I've been wanting to try, but never have!  After trying four different basic shapes, I can say these are fairly easy to do if you have basic crochet skills.  Below each picture, I've given the instructions, but remember - these are freeform so you can change up the number of stitches you're putting into each spot, change from single crochet to halfdouble, double, treble, ... whatever comes into your head!  It'll change the form you get in interesting ways.

This hyperbolic plane is made by first making a chain - you can make it any length you want.  This is 20 chains.  Next I single crocheted in each of the next 5 stitches (start on the second chain from the hook).  I increased in the 6th stitch by crocheting twice in that stitch.  This pattern was followed to the end of the row.  I chained one to turn and continued the pattern down the next row.  I just kept doing this until I liked the size.  To finish the edges, I went around the entire perimeter with the following pattern - in the first stitch sc, dc, sc, chained one, and skip the next stitch.  Repeat.


I made this hyperbolic plane curl more by making more increases.  It is started the same as the one above, but is increased after every three stitches.  To give it a different look on the edging, I chained four, slip stitched in the second stitch from the end and the next two, and then slip stitched into the same stitch and the next two stitches.


This pseudosphere is made by crocheting a hyperbolic plane in a circle.  I chained four and joined them into a circle.  I then started working 2 single crochets into each of the four chains and then continuing on with the new stitches formed.  It didn't start curling for a bit - just keep going and it will!


These curls are fun!  I connected four of them by just continuing another curl after I finished one.  Chain any number of stitches.  Single crochet in the second stitch from the hook and then start increasing.  I single crocheted two in some stitches and three or four in others.  Just play with it until you get the look you want!


I made these with white cotton and plan on dyeing them and then sewing them together in some sort of arrangement - I haven't decided on that part yet!

Happy Creating!  Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment