Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Wednesday Sewing - Toddler Doctor Costume


Well, this year little c moved on from being a cowgirl and has decided to be a doctor for Halloween.  This surprised no one, as she's been terrorizing  - or performing checkups on according to her - the two cats ever since she got her doctor kit! If a doctor costume is on your to-do list, here's how I put little c's together.

I was able to use the same pattern as last year as  one option is scrubs.  And since I used pattern paper to copy the size I needed last year, I could just do the same this year with the new size.  I used a light blue cotton fabric and left the pockets off.  The pattern went together really easily.


With the lab coat, I had a decision - do I make it or buy it?  An internet check found a very nice child-sized one for about $18.00 at scrubshopper.com.  Since the rest of the costume was so inexpensive, I gave myself a break on all that tailoring and button hole making and went with the pre-made one!  It's gorgeous - well worth the money.

I was originally thinking of putting little c's name on the pocket with either embroidery or a heat transfer design, but found Avery's plastic name badges and went with that.  

I ended up printing her two name badges - one for when she's a cat vet and another for when she switches to people!  I found the images on Google and then added her name in - I've found that PowerPoint is easy to do this in.


The name tag added just the right touch!


Happy Creating!  Deborah


6 comments:

  1. Hi! I am working on the same costume for my 2 year old son and am having a little trouble following the pattern. I can't figure out the sleeves for some reason. Also, did you do velcro in the back or sew it all the way up? Just wondering if you had any advice. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made this pattern (cowgirl version) last year and had trouble with those sleeves. I finally got them to work by sewing two rows of gathering thread at the top (I know they say to, but I'm usually too lazy to!) and I didn't use my usual basting stitch, but used about a slightly closer together one. This gave me smaller gathers and not the big bunchy ones I was ending up with. Also, the dots just don't seem to match up right so I only matched the one dot at the top of the sleeve that you put on the shoulder seam and then mostly matched the notches. I still had to adjust these a little to avoid having a real gathered look. Last year I actually made myself notes about what I did (!) so this year I did the same and it was a lot easier!

      The velcro closing also doesn't seem to work as well as I'd like - but forgot about that since I didn't make myself a note last year! So I ended up just putting a small piece of velcro at the top to hold the neck edge together in the back. If I make it next year, I think I'll make a placket closing. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. That size looks like it would fit my daughter. Im trying to decide which size to go with. What size did you order for the lab coat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The size tag is no longer in the coat, but my daughter-in-law thinks it's a size 4. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  3. Excellent post! I like this...Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete