Friday, December 7, 2012

Friday Inspiration - Sharon McCartney

Much of my inspiration comes from nature, so I'm always excited when I find fiber art created by artists who share this interest!  I recently discovered Massachusetts artist Sharon McCartney and love her work.  You know you're going to love an artist when her statement begins with Rachel Carson's quote, "One way to open your eyes is to ask yourself, 'What if I had never seen this before?  What if I knew I would never see it again?'"

One of the things I really enjoy about Sharon's work is that feeling of catching a glimpse of a moment in nature - a patch of the forest or a few rocks.  It's the type of art you can keep looking at and keep seeing in new ways.

Spell Collection, mixed media
Her Stone Pillows draw me in!  There are just so many rich layers!  I like how the pillows seem to make the "ordinary" gathered materials seem more precious, more special.

Songs I Used to Sing, mixed media
The Ground Truths series is amazing!  Each is a small piece of ground - a little vignette.  Again the layers of texturing are so rich.

Be sure to stop by her site and look at all of her work - she also has some great banners and artist books!

Happy Creating!  Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment