Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Embroidered Poinsettia Bread Cloth


Christmas in August continues!!  See this past post for making the bread cloth - I originally planned to just have it hemmed on the edges without crochet so I added about 1/4 inch all the way around the pattern to give me room for a hem.  After finishing, though, I decided it needed the crochet edging!  See this past post for the edging.

Materials:
*bread cloth
*embroidery floss in deep red, golden yellow, medium green, brown, and dark green
*size 20 crochet thread if you're adding the edging
*poinsettia pattern

Pattern  Instructions:  I can't get a PDF file to print to true size using my usual document sharing program, so for now I'm sharing the patterns as JPEG files.  When you click on the pattern link above, a page with the file will come up.  Under File in the upper left hand corner, choose Download.  Open or Save the file.  If you choose Open, when the file opens, go to Print in the upper left hand corner and choose Print.  On the next window that opens is a box that says "Fit picture to frame."  Make sure this box is not checked.  Also make sure you've chosen letter sized paper.  Now click Print and the pattern should print to true size.


1.  When I'm going to be embroidering on somewhat sheer fabric, I like to use my back door windows like a light table.  Tape the embroidery pattern to a window, hold the fabric over the pattern, and trace over the lines that show through the fabric.



2.  I used a 2B sketching pencil to lightly trace the lines.


3.  First I embroidered the poinsettia and the outline of its center, the leaves, and pine branches using 3 strands of embroidery floss and an outline stitch.


4.  Next I embroidered in the pine needles, using straight stitches.


5.  And added in french knots to finish it up!


Happy Creating!  Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment