Friday, May 1, 2015

Friday Inspiration - Botanical Knitting

Much of the inspiration for my work comes from nature and recently I found a write-up for a knitting exhibition I wish so much I'd been able to see.  At the end of 2013/beginning of 2014, the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens was home to Knit, Purl, Sow featuring the work of several textile artists.  Some of the pieces are amazing botanically correct reproductions and some more fanciful - all are wonderful and very inspiring!

Ruth Marshall, Lotus, 2013.  Knitted, crocheted, and embroidered yarn, wire, pins. Artist photo.

Tatyana Yanishevsky, Tiger Lily, 2011.  Knitted yarn and steel.  Photo Karen Phillipi.
 
Tatyana Yanishevsky, Dausus carota: Wild Carrot, 2005.  Knitted yarn, wire, stuffing.  Photo Megan Jones.

Tatyana Yanishevky, Love at First Sight, 2012.  Knitted yarn and resin.  Photo by Karen Phillipi.




If you think you might like to try your hand at smaller versions, I also came across the book Noni Flowers by Nora J. Bellows.  It's now on it's way to me and I can't wait to try a few!  Amazon offers a peek inside here.



Happy Creating!  Deborah

2 comments: